Roger J. Beck
Professor Emeritus, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
Department of Agricultural Economics and Agricultural Business
New Mexico State University
- Pennsylvania State University – Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics 1977
- Ohio State University – Agricultural Economics 1968
- Goshen College – B.A. Biology 1967
- Adjunct Professor – Agricultural Economics and Agricultural Business. New Mexico; State University, Las Cruces, NM. – 2006-present
- College Assistant Professor – Mathematics, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM – 2004-2006
- Professor – Park University, Ft. Bliss, Texas – 2004
- Professor – Department of Agribusiness Economics, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, IL – 2000-2003
- Associate Professor – Department of Agribusiness Economics, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, IL – 1989-1999
- Assistant Professor – Department of Agribusiness Economics, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale – 1984-1988
- Assistant Professor – Department of Agricultural Economics and Marketing, Cook College, Rutgers University – 1977-1984
- Graduate Research Assistant and Researcher – Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology, Pennsylvania State University. – 1971-1977
- Project Director – Mani Regional Development Project, NGO, Greece 1968-1971
- Agriculturist – NGO, Greece 1964-1966
TEACHING INTEREST AND SPECIALTIES
- Matrix Algebra and Linear Programming
- Intermediate Algebra
- Statistical Methods
- Distribution in Agribusiness
- Agricultural Development (Domestic rural and Regional Development)
- Agricultural and Forestry Environmental Problems
- Cost Benefit Analysis
- Research Methods for Graduate Students in Agriculture
- Principles and Applications of Macroeconomics
- Regional Economics
RESEARCH INTERESTS AND SPECIALTIES
- Land Use
- Economic Impact Analysis
- Factors Associated with Employment Change in Rural Areas
- Rural Labor Markets
CONSULTANTSHIPS (PAID AND UNPAID)
- Organizer of Conference, Alternative Food Production Systems and Nutrition@ (1999-2000).
- United Nations Development Council, Assist in Development of University Network for Sustainable Local Development, El Salvador (1999-2000)
- Wabash County Literacy Task Force (1999-2000)
- Brehm Prepatory School, Inc. (1999)
- Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs (preparing quarterly reports on status of southern Illinois economy, 1997-2003)
- Winrock International (1996-1997)
- U.S. Army Engineer Institute for Water Resources (1995-2003): providing IMPLAN applications on multiregional input-output model
- FoCus of Southern Illinois (1995-1997): provide economic evaluation of welfare reform activities
- Carbondale Business Development Corporation (1995): serving as judge for business plan competition program
- Ecologically Sustainable Development, Inc. (Elizabethtown, New York) (1993-1997): member of scientific and policy team working on sustainable land use program in Ussuri/Wusuli Watershed of Northeastern China and Russian Far East
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services (1991-1992): provided economic impact assessment of Emiquon National Wildlife Refuge.
- Rural Partners of Illinois (1987-1992)
- Southern Five Regional Planning and Development Commission (1987-1992)
EVALUATION OF GRANT PROPOSALS AND MANUSCRIPTS FOR JOURNALS, BOOK PUBLISHERS
- Reviewer of grant proposals for USDA Competitive Research Grants Office
- Reviewer for Canadian Journal of Regional Economics
- Reviewer for Economic Development Quarterly
- Reviewer for Growth and Change
- Reviewer for The Journal of Regional Studies
- Reviewer for Journal of the Community Development Society
- Reviewer for Policy Studies Journal
- Reviewer for Selected Papers for AAEA Annual Meetings
- Reviewer of manuscript for Southern Illinois Press
RECENT PAPERS AND PRESENTATIONS AT PROFESSIONAL MEETINGS
- Peterson, W, J.K. Buckheit, R.J. Beck, A. D. Carver. 2003. Using Shift–Share and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to Analyze Economic Development in Rural Labor Market Areas in Illinois. Paper presentation at the Thirty-Ninth Annual Meeting of the Missouri Valley Economics Association. February 27 – March 1. St. Louis, Missouri.
- Beck, R. J., J. K. Buchheit, and A. D. Carver. 2001. Economic considerations of farmland riparian zones. Paper presentation at the Illinois Renewable Natural Resources Conference. March 7-9. Peoria Illinois.
- White, E. M., A. D. Carver, J. E. Phelps, and R. J. Beck. 2000. Characterizing timber mill production in the southern Illinois region: Is production potential related to Illinois saw-log exportation. Poster presentation at the Society of American Foresters National Convention. November, 16-20. Washington, D.
- Beck, R. J. and A. D. Carver. 2000. Economic impact on rural towns. Invited presentation at the Kaskaskia River Watershed Summit sponsored by the Kaskaskia Watershed Association. November 20. Illinois.
- O’Brien, J. David, Janet S. Ayres, Roger J. Beck, Jack Geller, Edward W. Hassinger, Kevin McNamara. A Research Agenda for Studying Rural Public Service Delivery Alternatives in the North Central Region. Ames: Iowa State University Printing Services, April, 1994. 71 pages.
- Beck, Roger, William Herr, and Nanda Rangan. Bank Structure and Economic Development in Nonmetropolitian Areas of Illinois. Illinois Institute for Rural Affairs, Western Illinois University, Macomb, Illinois, August, 1991. 33 pages.
- Carver, A. D., R. D. Arthur, R. J. Beck, and N. A. Damery. 2000. The effects of urbanization on the siting and expansion of livestock facilities in Illinois under proposed legislation: A spatial analysis. Professional Animal Scientist, (16)2:100-104.
- Beck, Roger J., Steven E. Kraft and John Burde. “Is the Conversion of Land From Agricultural Production to a Bioreserve Boon or Bane for Economic Development? The Cache River Bioreserve as a Case Study.” Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 54 (1), 1999, pp. 394-401.
- Burde, John, Steven Kraft, and Roger Beck. “Partnerships in Wetland Restoration.” Parks and Recreation 33 (2), 1998, pp. 34-44.
- Beck, Roger, Donald Elliott, John Meisel, and Michael Wagner. “Economic Impact Studies of Regional Public Colleges and Universities”. Growth and Change 26 (2), 1995, pp. 245-260.
- Snavely, Keith and Roger Beck. “Defining the Role of Nonprofit Corporations in Community Economic Development.” Journal of the Community Development Society 24 (2), 1993, pp. 213-228.
- Phelps, John, Dwight McCurdy, Michael Wagner and Roger Beck. “An Economic Impact Analysis of a Hardwood Lumber Dry Kiln Operation in Southern Illinois.” Illinois Business Review 49 (1), 1992, pp. 14, 15, 20.
- Beck, Roger J. and William McD. Herr. “Employment Linkages from a Modified Shift-Share Analysis:An Illinois Example.” The Review of Regional Studies 20 (3), 1990, pp. 38-45
- Beck, Roger J. and William McD. Herr. “Income Inequality among Illinois Counties: Contentment and Despair.” Illinois Business Review (4), 1990, pp. 8-12.
- Beck Roger J. and Eric Frymire. “Factors Affecting Farmers’ Attachments to Production Agriculture.” North Central Journal of Agricultural Economics 11 (1), 1989, pp. 50-57
- Eberle, Phillip R. and Roger J. Beck. “Basic vs. Target Programs in Developing Curricula in Agricultural Economics.” National Association of Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture 33, 1989, pp. 26-29.
- Beck, Roger J. “Linkages Between the Farm Sector and the Local Nonfarm Economy.” Economic Development Quarterly 1 (4), 1987, pp. 379-82.
- Beck, Roger J. and William McD. Herr. “Are More Jobs the Answer to Economic Development of Southern Illinois?” Illinois Business Review 44 (5), 1987, pp. 6-10.
- Beck, Roger J. and Larry R. Medsker. “Entity-Relationship Approach to Regional Economic Data Analysis.” The Review of Regional Studies 17 (1), 1987, pp. 13-20.
- Hoffman, Colette M. and Roger J. Beck. “A Sensitivity Analysis of Commuting Patterns: An Occupational Comparison.” The Review of Regional Studies 13 (3), 1983, pp. 26-30.
- Beck, Roger J. and J. Dean Jansma. “Spatial and Socioeconomic Factors Influencing Labor Force Participation Rates.” Journal of the Northeastern Agricultural Economics Council 11 (2), 1982, pp. 61-9.
- Beck, Roger J. “Labor Force Characteristics of a Rural County’s Commuters.” Journal of the Northeastern Agricultural Economics Council 8 (2), 1979, pp. 165-75.
- Beck, Roger J. and J. Dean Jansma. “Community Adjustments to a Major Plant Closure: A Case Study of Berwick, Pennsylvania.” Journal of the Northeastern Agricultural Economics Council 3 (2), 1974, pp. 135-42.
- American Agricultural Economics Association
- Community Development Society
- Illinois Economic Association
- Regional Science Association International
- Southern Regional Science Association